Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Week 3- Wikis

Though I'm an avid user of Wikipedia as a jumping off point to start research, I've never actually edited it. It is both really neat and also kind of scary. How many people just make things up that sound as though they could pass for fact? I suppose that's why it's only a starting point...

The most interesting thing I found while reading the article however was using a Wiki as a writing tool in a classroom. I was a secondary education minor in college and I had never encountered someone using a Wiki as a way of students building on the writing process, but I think it is a brilliant idea!

As far as in the library, a lot of times, there are discussions at staff meetings and emails get sent out before hand about things that may come up during staff meetings. Suggestions, questions, or concerns people may have. Then, the minutes are typed up and distributed to the staff. I don't work on Thursdays, so I don't get to attend staff meetings. And other staff members may miss them, etc... So, I think a Wiki would be good for staff meeting purposes. The article sort of suggested this. Questions, concerns, etc... could be posted and people could respond, and then at Staff meeting, the minutes could be transcribed in the Wiki and everything would be available for everyone to see, even if they were not there.

1 comment:

Cindy Hart said...

You got it! Nice job with this exercise. Yes, it can be a little scary when you use mediawiki the first or even the second time. Do small edits and work up to creating a new wiki page.